Sunday, June 10, 2012

Add Workspaces in Unity 2D

In Lucid Lynx, I am used to work with 6 workspaces and each workspace has its own function.  One workspace for Chrome, one for Eclipse, one for the Terminal (logcat), one for the Android Emulator, and the other one for Pidgin.  I am an LTS user and I wasn't bothered by other releases (Maverick Meerkat, Natty Narwhal, Oneiric Ocelot) until when Precise Pangolin was released, the desktop was changed from GNOME to Unity interface.  Now I upgraded my Lynx to the new LTS Pangolin on both my desktop and laptop.

I experienced different issues on desktop and on my laptop with the Unity interface.  The first look into Unity from desktop and laptop puzzled me.  On desktop, I can change the size of the launcher to 32 and add more workspaces in it.  Glad I found MyUnity, a tweaking tool for Unity desktop.  On laptop, I see no options to change the launcher size.  MyUnity only works on Unity 3D.  Now this made me think that my laptop has Unity 2D.  Then I did my research and found this tweak.

On terminal:
$ wget http://webupd8.googlecode.com/files/script.py
$ chmod +x script.py
$ sudo ./script.py 32

The '32' changes your icon launcher size to minimum.  Now to add more workspaces to your Unity desktop, I also found this tweak.

On terminal, you have change thru gconf and run this command:
$ gconftool-2 -s -t integer /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces 6

Restart your machine.

Do you have any alternatives?  Glad if you share.  Just add it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment